Memories of the Past
On October 17th, 2022, local author, historian, and teacher Rosemary Rutley will be at the Ingleside Branch discussing her latest book “A Place by the River.” This collection of historical fiction stories will inspire those interested in the Lost Villages and the St. Lawrence Seaway Project.
The St. Lawrence Seaway Project was a life changing event that occurred in the 1950’s, involving villages located between Morrisburg and Cornwall, Ontario. On the Canadian side over 200 farms were destroyed and close to 6,000 people were displaced, making up what has come to be known as “The Lost Villages.” The SDG Library’s Local History collection highlights a variety of books, both fiction and non-fiction, for patrons who wish to dive deep into the stories and the lives of the people who lived and flourished along the river.
Interested in learning more about the St. Lawrence Seaway project or the lost villages? Make sure to attend Rosemary Rutley’s talk in Ingleside, checkout any of our local library branches or try these suggested books from our collection:
Of Curds and Whey by Rosemary Rutley
Explore the history of the Cheese Factories of Stormont Dundas and Glengarry. At one time, almost every little village or crossroads in the counties had a local cheese factory. This was a meeting place, a place to share news and catch-up for local farmers. Sometimes you could even buy a little cardboard box of fresh, squeaky curd.
In 1958, Ault Island was created because of the St. Lawrence Seaway Project. Located west of Ingleside, Ontario the island holds memories of cottage life, nature walks, fishing in the summer or winter, deer, and wild turkeys. Now a year-round home for many residents, the island continues to be developed.
Life in a Small Village by Enid Rupert
A description of life in the village of Dickinson's Landing during the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's. This village located at Lock# 21 was inundated by the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1958. This village had the very first post office, first telegraph office and the first telephone in Osnabruck Township. It was the first to have sidewalks made of gravel, and the first village to have electric lights.
“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”
― Rudyard Kipling