All you need is a computer and a library card! There are three different ways to enjoy digital library books on your PC or Mac, but by far the simplest is the Read & Listen in Browser option.
Read & Listen In Browser
- Sign In with your full library barcode & PIN at our digital catalogue.
- Search for specific titles and authors or browse by category to find a title and click the Borrow button. If a title is unavailable, press Place Hold to be notified by email when it's ready to borrow.
- Go to your Loans page (click the book icon on the top-right of the page, or click My account and then Loans) and click Read in Browser or Listen in Browser to begin enjoying your digital book!
Alternatively, you could use specific programs for digital library books: Adobe Digital Editions for eBooks and OverDrive Media Console for eAudiobooks.
Adobe Digital Editions
Adobe Digital Editions can be used to read eBooks on your computer (and to transfer titles to Kobo eReaders), though it requires both an Adobe ID and the desktop program. To get started:
- Create an Adobe Digital Editions account here (requires an email address). Click Sign In at the top-right corner of the screen, then Get an Adobe ID.
- Download the Adobe Digital Editions desktop program here. Some users have found best results using Version 3.0, but newer versions are also available.
- Once installed, open Adobe Digital Editions and authorize it by clicking the Help menu heading, then Authorize Computer. Enter your Adobe ID account (your email address) & password.
- Use your web browser to borrow eBooks from our digital catalogue, then click Download from your Loans page (click the book icon or my Account and then Loans at the top-right of the page.
- Open the downloaded file. Adobe Digital Editions should be the default program, but if not, open Adobe Digital Editions and from the File menu heading use the Add to Library feature to manually add it. The eBook can now be read inside Adobe Digital Editions, or transferred to an eReader.
OverDrive Media Console
You can listen to eAudiobooks on your PC or Mac with the OverDrive Media Console application. To get started:
- Download & install the appropriate OverDrive Media Console application for your computer: OverDrive for Windows Desktop, OverDrive App for Windows 8 & Windows 10, or OverDrive for Mac. More information on the different OverDrive apps can be found on OverDrive's website.
- Use your web browser to select an eAudiobook from our digital catalogue. Click the Borrow button, go to your Loans page, and click Download.
- Open the downloaded file. OverDrive should be the default program, which will cause the full eAudiobook download to begin inside the application. Once fully downloaded, you can listen to it inside the app, burn it to a CD, or transfer it to an MP3 player.